The holiday season it's the perfect time to indulge in our favorite foods while we are having fun around our friends and family, so why not take an all-time classic and make it healthier to enjoy it guilt-free? These gingerbread cookies are dairy-free, refined sugar free, packed with fiber, low fat, and vegan!
- 2 cups (240g) spelt flour
- ¼ cup (55g) vegan butter
- ½ cup (100g) coconut sugar
- ¼ cup (85g) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60g) water
- 1 tablespoon ground chia or flax seeds
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2-3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of any good quality salt
For the Frosting:
- ½ cup (65g) coconut butter (softened)
- 1-3 tbsp dairy-free milk (as needed)
- Add all the cookie ingredients to a large bowl and mix well
- Set aside the dough in an airtight container inside the fridge for 1 hour or in the freezer for 30 mins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface so it is about 8mm (0.3 inch) thick
- Use a cookie cutter to cut shapes out of the dough
- Carefully place each cookie on a lined baking tray (using a spatula it's a good idea)
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the cookies, always keep an eye on them)
- The edges of the cookies should be slightly golden brown
- Let the cool directly on the baking pan
- Add all the frosting ingredients to a bowl and mix until it forms a thick paste.
- Use a fine tipped piping bag to decorate the gingerbread as desired.
- Enjoy cookies immediately!
Have a Happy Holiday Season!